Winter Vehicle Maintenance Tips
There’s no good time for your car to break down, but you definitely don’t want to get stuck in wintry weather. Winter vehicle maintenance is key! There are some steps that you can take on your own, and Jeffrey Acura’s service center can help you with the rest. With a little planning, you can protect yourself against car trouble this winter.
Start with the basics by checking your owner’s manual to see if you’re on schedule for regular service intervals. Make an appointment to get up to date, and be sure to include:
- Oil and oil filter change to help the engine run more smoothly and efficiently
- Brake inspection for wear and tear
- Battery check so it doesn’t die on you
- Tire inspection and rotation to make sure treads are thick enough and wearing evenly
You should also confirm that other important systems are working properly. Make an appointment with a service professional to check out these components:
- Heater and defrosting systems should be inspected so you don’t have a failure.
- The cooling system should be flushed and refilled as recommended, typically with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water.
- The exhaust system needs to be checked for leaks to prevent deadly fumes from getting in your car.
- A routine transmission check should help avoid catastrophic failure.
- Your lights and other filters should also be checked and replaced if necessary.
This checklist will make your winter driving a lot less stressful and easier to deal with:
- Keep ice scrapers in your car.
- Change your windshield wiper blades to the rubber-clad version made especially for ice and snow.
- Keep windshield wiper fluid on hand so you don’t run out.
- Add a bottle of fuel de-icer to your gas tank each month to help keep moisture from freezing in the gas line.
- Stash tire chains in your trunk.
- Create an emergency kit in with gloves, blankets, hats, and boots in case you get caught in the cold. Also, include a small shovel, sand or kitty litter (for slick roads), an extra cell phone charger, and a flashlight with extra batteries.
- Don’t forget about water and a few energy bars!
Jeffrey Acura Can Handle it All
We can help take care of all your winter vehicle maintenance needs! Simply contact the service department at Jeffrey Acura today for an appointment, and we’ll get you ready for ice and snow in no time. Schedule an appointment with us online or contact us today!