It’s All in the Details
There’s nothing like getting your car detailed! And if you learn how to detail your vehicle yourself, you can save money and enjoy the benefits of a spotless interior and gleaming exterior anytime you want.
What You Need
For a professional result, you need the right supplies and at least four hours of time. Plan on having enough space, plus everything you’d need if you were just washing your car – buckets, water, soap, soft sponges, wax, and chamois or microfiber drying towels. These specialized tools will help with all the small details:
- Wet/dry vac with attachments to help you attack hard-to-reach spaces
- All-purpose cleaner for the interior
- Cleaners for carpet and upholstery
- Surface protector for vinyl and leather surfaces
- Canned air
- Small brushes, such as toothbrushes and paint brushes
- Cotton swabs
- Rags, including towels and thin cotton varieties
Begin With the Interior
- Carpets and Upholstery – Vacuum thoroughly, and use a brush and stain remover to remove any visible stains. Make sure you use the proper cleaner for leather seats. Let everything dry completely to avoid mold and mildew.
- Windows and Doors – Wash the inside windows with a soapy rinse or glass cleaner, and dry with a towel or soft cloth to remove streaks. Clean doors and jambs with a rag and soapy cleaner. Dry the areas completely with a rag or towel and then use brushes and cotton swabs to work on any stubborn stains.
- Steering Column and Steering Wheel – Clean with a soapy cleaner, and then dry thoroughly. Follow with a surface protectant.
- Dashboard and Center Console – Don’t spray any water or cleaners onto these areas. Simply use your brushes and tools with a small amount of cleaner applied directly to clean buttons and dials and get into crevices. Dry everything completely.
Now the fun part! Use water and a detergent-free car washing soap to wash the outside of your car, attacking one area at a time so nothing gets dry. A stiff brush will help you get the metal parts of your tire super-clean, and refreshing your dirty rags with clean ones will help you move quickly and avoid scratching your finish. Your small tools will come in handy for the headlights, tail lights, and other harder-to-reach areas. Keep rinsing everything with clean water so nothing dries. When everything has been washed, dry your vehicle thoroughly with a clean chamois or cotton cloth, and follow with the wax. The final step is to make sure your windows are 100% dry, using microfiber or newsprint.
Let the Pros Handle It
Even when you know how to detail your vehicle, it’s hard to find the time to do it yourself. At Jeffrey Acura, our expert detailing team can do all the work for you, and you can enjoy all the benefits of a sparkling clean car! Learn more about our detailing services and inventory by contacting us today!